Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Awkward Life Moment #27: Cuddling

This is a true story. I tried online dating for the briefest of times. Now, because I am broke I couldn't afford one of those fancy sites, like Match or eHarmony. Nope, definitely not. But I had heard of a few free sites and I settled on Plenty of Fish. To anyone reading this who is thinking of online dating: Plenty of Fish is NOT the site for you. Sure, you might luck out and find someone who is normal and a good match for you, etc. However, I feel like that will make you the exception to the rule. And the rule is this: You get what you pay for.

One of the guys I met ended up being fairly normal, if extremely shy and socially awkward. I can work with that as I, too, am an awkward individual. So we went out on a couple of dates and hung out. It lasted for about a month. After a week I already had second thoughts--I know myself and I know what it feels like when it isn't right. But, I told myself that I should give it a few weeks just to make sure.

After a few weeks I was freaking out. It was clear that this guy liked me, but that I did not like him in the same way. Nice guy, but I didn't want to date him. I also didn't want to string him along. So I was trying to figure out how to tell him that without being a complete jackass.

The last time we hung out we watched Netflix, on his twin size bed, awkwardly. As we waited for the next episode to roll over, he turned to me and said, "You may have noticed that I'm kind of shy."

I made some kind of noncommittal noise in agreement.

"But do you, I don't know, do you maybe want to cuddle?"

Um....no. Even in my limited experience with dating and things like cuddling, I knew that it was something you asked to do. It was supposed to just happen. Maybe he was just trying to be nice. Maybe he just wanted to make sure that it was something I would be comfortable with. And I appreciate that, I do. However, I did not want to cuddle with him in any regard.

Thankfully, however, that was my opening to tell him that I did not see anything more than friendship happening between us.

All's well that ends well, right?

--AP

No comments:

Post a Comment